Friday 27 March 2020

First online DFI session

What a week!
 Global pandemic and first online DFI ....
navigating between two google hangouts and finding where to put my name down to join a group. I found it really challenging. However! I did manage to keep up ( kind of ) and learnt along the way. I have to say I had to be quite brave!

Presently we have a brave piglet soft toy hanging in our front window and I guess I was that piglet!

So Dealing with data using the learn, create, share pedagogy...


  • What did I learn that increased my understanding of Manaiakalani kaupapa and pedagogy?

Sharing is part of human nature. ( something we have limited somewhat presently) With the advent in 2005 of You Tube etc replies could be instant, sharing more global. However what we need to think about is sharing with a purpose. The audience being the people who choose to listen. The people who hold the power of the mouse in their hands. An authentic audience as opposed to a compulsory audience, such as you might see on a Friday afternoon at school assembly.


  • What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow as a professional?

Just being here today and taking the plunge to do it online as opposed to face to face was huge for me. To elect to be in a group with others who I didn't know who were more advanced than me and then speak up and voice my questions rather than sit back. So a confidence builder in that I did it and had some success along the way. I succeeded in analyzing a blog archive, putting the data on a spreadsheet and then converting it into a graph.

Ta Da!

I learnt how to use that greek symbol ( it's not Egyptian) ánd drag the corner to highlight. How to freeze the sheet cells. I put labels into my blog using the suggested ones but I am not sure that I have done that right...dumping them all in like that...

The map session I got a bit lost with the layers, however plan to rewind that and revisit about putting on markers etc. I will also have to revisit the sheets on speed


  • What did I learn that could be used with my learners?  

Well any improved digital competence and confidence on my part is helpful with my Year 2 learners. I could see them using my Maps, once I know what I am doing! Perhaps google sheets for Statistics.

  • What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow in my personal life?

See above! I certainly have more time to practice and rewind now. Hey its the school holidays!

5 comments:

  1. Hello Sarah,
    You certainly were brave and jumped in. Go you! I'm really impressed that you did jump in and give things a go. As you reflected, you can rewind.
    Remember to check the sharing settings for files like your sheet. Creating the sheet directly in your DFI Sandpit folder will mean it has the same sharing settings as the folder.
    All the best,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Sarah,
    good on you for having a go! And you are right - rewindable learning is the best part of this as we can go back and review any part we need.
    Maybe we could connect in a Hangout Meet this week and I can show you how to get your graph to show rather than the link to it.
    I can't wait to see how much more you grow in confidence as the weeks go on. You are doing great so hang in there.
    Let's connect during the week. I'm available any time.
    Mā te wā
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl for your support this week. It was good to hangout with you! I know that I need to practice embedding links...and the graph example illustrates that!

      Delete
  3. Hi there Sarah - it's great to get into your blog for a read. I admire your courage & willingness to give this all a go. It can be overwhelming but is well worth the effort - plus your colleagues & I are here to support you. Kia kaha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Helen! Yes bravery and openness to learn. A steep learning curve for me but an important one.

    ReplyDelete