Friday 1 May 2020

Coding and Empowerment




Coding and Empowerment

I do think this cat could be rather symbolic of me and DFI! The big black vortex of the unknown...teetering on the edge...going round in circles...hopefully not plummeting to the bottom next week in the exam! Still the cat is smiling so that's a good thing and no doubt has 9 lives...it could have learnt a few things along the way. This is my first attempt at Scratch, we had some problems sharing the embed code though.                      https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/390808365/



  • What did I learn that increased my understanding of Manaiakalani kaupapa and pedagogy?
Manaiakalani is NOT just a tool. It can transform the way we learn, overcome barriers of time, distance and circumstance. Dorothy spoke of the obstacles that are present in Point England area, money, housing, health, paucity of vocabulary. How we as educators play an important role in promoting conversation be that face to face or through blogs.


  • What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow as a professional?
It was timely to look at the curriculum. Following on from reflecting about what the future might look like. We need to empower our children to be part of the conversation when it comes to moral or ethical issues. To be digitally fluent and capable. To move beyond being soley users and consumers.Watching some of the Unplugged videos I could see what an introduction to coding might look like. I could recall having a staff meeting where we tried to code using a grid on the floor and large 'critters'.

  • What did I learn that could be used with my learners?  
Having a play with the coding and seeing how captivating it is. I could see how this could be used with my learners. I enjoyed the minecraft introduction and how it introduced new code and more efficient ways of using it. Had a dabble with Scratch, though I understand there is a junior version.

  • What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow in my personal life?
Well, nearing the end of the Manaikalani journey I think I have grown in confidence and capability. It doesn't stop here though as the learning will go on and 'use it or lose it' is a pertinent mantra for myself.


                                                                               

8 comments:

  1. I agree Maniakalani is not just a tool. The whole pedagogy behind it is so powerful and I can already see the shift happening in my students. What an exciting journey we are on Sarah. Thank you for sharing your learning today. Have you had any thoughts where you might sit your exam next week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sarah,
    Your cat analogy is clever. Keep on learning! You are making great strides and I can see you have developed great capacity.
    As you say 'use it or lose it' - definitely important to embed the learning by practicing. I think as you are wanting to extend your learners you will use skills you have gained in an on-going manner. Remember you can always google it, if you forget something.
    Ngā mihi,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plenty of mantras in here..use it or lose it...just google it... Thanks Maria!

      Delete
  3. Sarah,
    Love the cat analogy! And like Maria has said, it is an open book exam, so Google anything you forget. You also have the option to review the question later, meaning you can get through the exam answering everything you are familiar with, and then come back to the more challenging questions.

    You're scratch link isn't working. It would be good if we could get it to work. We did find out last week, the reason the 'share' and 'embed' button wasn't showing, was because perhaps your Scratch account was newly created, and you hadn't yet accepted your account through the e-mail they sent you. Have a go, and see if you can get this working. Would love to see your project. :)

    Venessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were right Vanessa. I needed to accept my account. Now my cat that moves randomly is released to the world! haha.

      Delete
    2. That is fabulous! I'm glad you got it working!

      Delete
  4. Kia ora Sarah,
    I love that the cat is still smiling - just like you have in the whole of DFI. I am loving seeing how much you have learnt and can do now.
    Did you get your Scratch embed code after reading Venessa's comment?
    See you on Friday
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwh Cheryl, I am glad to hear that I have been smiling! I followed what Vanessa said and the cat is meowing and scampering now.

    ReplyDelete